Friday, May 15, 2009

On screen, Black is Green (?)

Came to know about the website http://www.blackle.com/ recently.
This website powered by Google custom search, basically does everything that google does, i.e. searching.... a very frequent task in internet usage. The concept behind Blackle is that computer monitors can be made to consume less energy by displaying darker colors. Blackle is based on a study which tested a variety of CRT and LCD monitors.
I was quite convinced by this and found it a cool idea to change colour scheme of my blog! But a little bit research on wikipedia and treehugger.com showed that this is true only for CRT, Plasma and OLED monitors and not much for LCD screens which are more common! So I don't know if my dark grey blog is saving any energy or not, but I am sure atleast it is not wasting any on any of the monitors. Readability on such colour scheme may be issue and I will change the colour-scheme if I get any such feedback from you. Going green is very essential, but not at the cost of any basic functionality. And whatever the research says about their effectiveness, we can give such efforts a try! Can't we?
(By the way, this change of colour scheme was also to signify writing my 100th post :)

2 comments:

M said...

it has been my default page since 2 years.:)

MahaBHARAThi said...

Good bhavin that you trying to save the energy by the color change.