Saturday, December 17, 2011

Sid.

Next time I come back from Mumbai, it will be bit difficult for me to accept this flat as 'house'! No, not because you will not be there, but there will not be any stuff lying around on sofa, bed, chairs, no fan running at full speed, no shoes scattered everywhere on floor. And surprisingly, somehow, to me, it will look like no one stays here! Without the dry daaru bottles and drying utensils, the kitchen too will look empty. I will not have to remember to close the gas knob before I go to sleep, neither will I have to think whether to keep the outer metal door open so that you can come in anytime at late night (rather morning). It will be like, I will have nothing to do in this place still called house! (oops little too senti!)

It's not that I have never stayed alone in this house before, but then I always knew that you will be back sometime, may be we will even see and talk to each other once in 3-4 days at least. Even when you had gone for your long jaundice holiday, I still didn't feel like I feel today (not for you, for myself). Sadly, I also feel that it's not because you are leaving, but because I will be alone, that I am sad. But I guess that's the case with everyone in this selfish world.

When we were classmates in NID, I never imagined I will spend so much time with you after NID! At the end of these 4 years (f...o....u...r.... years!) of sharing a house (and few other things, like your laptop charger and my laptop), I still find it surprising that we actually did! And if someone asks me what made you two stay together for this long, I have no answer! I wonder how come we even never had any fight or argument!
As if this feeling was not surprising enough, as I am writing, I receive an SMS from a very distant friend,"Some reasons definitely make relationships strong, but the fact is, only strong relations will remain forever without any reason!"
aamen
take care
bhavin

Epilogue: This reminds me that I will have to buy a new laptop charger now! :( This post would have been a much better read, had someone paid me to write it. I might have even taken little effort to find and photoshop a good picture of yours then, and name this post as 'an open letter to my house-mate' etc. Jokes apart, there were so many things coming to my mind as I thought of writing this Sid, but somehow its not possible and even required. To some extent this whole blog itself is somehow related to all the time we spent together, all the things we did, from chatting on our own blog comments, to bike rides, photography, to window shopping, movies (and writing the reviews on blog!)..... I have to stop writing now as the dictionary meaning of epilogue uses the word 'short' write-up. I also have to spend some time talking to my next room-mate, a much better one! ;)

9 comments:

Siddhartha Joshi said...

Even as I laugh reading the post, I can't help but feel a sudden rush. I guess its still not dawned on me that I am finally leaving. The one thing consistent in life since we started NID in 2005 has been you (Ahmedabad, Bangalore and then Ahmedabad again)...you have known practically everything about me, including all dark secrets :) But I always knew they were safe with you...

I guess that's why we never ever had any arguments or fights, we just gave each other space and accepted each other with all our flaws...

You know what! I can't even write all I want to in the comments section...will have to either write another mail or come back and many more comments :)

M said...

LOL :D
Loved your post Bhavin and this coming from you, did not expect at all.
I am sure, things are gonna change a big time in the coming year, for both of you ..
God bless and wish you both the best of everything.
M

Janaki Sincro Mulay said...

Nice one.
Enjoyed reading it. Reminded me of some of my fondest friends and the time I've spent with them.
Your write up could have been a lil more longer, would have loved to read some more interesting stories of your friendship.

Aparna said...

Extremely endearing blog post Bhavin!

Good luck to both of you, from Bangalore!

bhavin said...

@Sid: I understand the sudden rush. I too had to take enough time and effort to make this worth a little laugh! :)

@meenu: :) thank u!

@J: If I were you, I would have written full series of posts, just that it would have never ended! ;) thats why I didn't make it long. This post doesn't tell you much, but it does say something! :)

@Aparna: :) thank you! for the comment and visit! (ahemmm... from bangalore! ;) )

kiran said...

Bhavin Mali !! like your post a lot .. little late to comment though .. being a roomy at NID and also staying with both of you I can understand the emotions of you. Anyways life is always changing and now you are getting a permanent roomy ..a life long partner. So I think your job will taken care by your new roomy and you don't need to worry more about if you close the gas knob or not before you go to bed :)

bhavin said...

:)

bhavin said...

bought the charger... my laptop can be sold at double the price now! ;)
and on second thought, the house doesn't really look so empty... it looks quite nice and clean actually! hahahaha
(yes, baai came today!)

kiran said...

us Bai ko bol de main phir se kuch samay ke liye rahane aa raha hoon !! turant bhag jayegi :)