Friday, July 09, 2010

The Metropolitan

This is first time I am writing about a scooter! I loved this! The Honda Metropolitan, also known as Honda Jazz in Canada. The Vespa inspired, cool, simple, chic and with Honda realiability! I doubt it is an Italian design though. But thats what (apart from price) makes it even better than Vespa, Italian design and Japanese technology! At 49cc it's more like a fashion accessory than a scooter. This is a good example of how you sell an underpowered scooter. Don't just sell it as a scooter. Apart from communicating that its a simple, easy casual commuter, it also gives you a chance to make a statement and to have fun! The simplicity of form makes it easy for a large audience to connect to it at some or the other point of time, in some or the other colour. This is a good example of how something can be elegant as well as fun! A very nice play of form, proportions and colours.

Here it is, the only scooter I loved! Because when I say 'scooter', this is exactly what I imagine. For anything else, better go for a bike! ;)



I am not sure about the front though! A normal head mounted headlight would have been better I guess. It also reminds me of our popular Activa. Ohh, and Honda Activa did something similar to Bajaj here in India. When it was launched, critics said, "Honda has made a better Bajaj!"

These are few pics depicting Vespa way of making a fashion statement.


6 comments:

Siddhartha Joshi said...

i remember coming across this when we were researching for ur proj :)

but ya nice 'scooter' :)

bhavin said...

hahaha...
sadly this and vespa is only designers' favorite, marketing people think of it as 'risk'!
But it's ok. Where there is beauty, there is risk!
;)

Pratima Khadke said...

nice post.. n nice scooter .. I loved it!!

Neeru's Corner said...

Looks like Activa :) I had one :(

bhavin said...

Activa?
hahahaha...
not really... more Vespa!
but ya, it's Honda.. and it does look like one!

Shivani Gakhar said...

i love it!!! only thing missing is another seat..