Saturday, June 19, 2010

Raavan

Looks like it's the last fight in a typical bollywood movie. As usual both hero and villain have decided to throw away all their weapons and ready to fight in a more macho 'nihshastra' way! I am still trying to figure out who is hero and who is villain! Raavan should be villain as per Ramayana, but seeta was never attracted towards Raavana in the original story! Anyways, the fight sequence on the hanging bridge is shot really well, but no one dies!
:(
I don't know why I wrote about the last (not really) sequence in the beginning, but thats how the first half of movie makes you feel! But if you have paid enough money, you should rather enjoy the very aesthetically shot scenes, locations and music etc instead of trying to understand the story. And why do you need to understand the Ramayana story again? You know it already, don't you?
FOR: brilliant locations, good cinematography, music, colour palette, some stunts
AGAINST: character building, story in first half, predictability in second half

Should be watched only in movie hall!
As reviews said, even I found second half better than first, but that was more because it finally stopped raining in the movie!

3 comments:

Siddhartha Joshi said...

Guess what even I logged on to write a review on Raavan :)

Anyway, I can just add some of my feedback here itself. Looking back at the movie later in the night, I realised that it wasn't bad at all. Just an unexpected cinematic experience. I liked the way the first half looked, but missed the jungle sounds. Rahman's music is rather loud and not always with the ambiance.

And I missed the dialogues, wish Raavan and Sita had more to talk about. There match was horribly impossible, he was too much of a psycho. The second half was nicer, but too little, too late.

Raavan (the character Beera) should have been more normal and natural, everyone (including Sita) would have identified with him more then. Ram was mostly ignored and looked fine there.

I heard the Tamil version is way better, with more coherent dialogues and narration.

M said...

If you guys plan to go for the Tamil version, can i join? and please don't schedule it just the next day of me leaving your city.

Siddhartha Joshi said...

do u seriously want to see the tamil version? it has sub-titles though :)